What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine is an approach to medicine that moves away from the traditional, allopathic, disease-centered focus of medicine to a more patient-centered approach. Functional Medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. It is considered a “Holistic Medicine”.
Functional Medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease, using a systems-oriented approach which engages both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. It is an evolution in the practice of allopathic medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century and more closely resembles the medicine practiced by a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner.
Just as in a Traditional Chinese Medicine practice, Functional Medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, Functional Medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.
Why Functional Medicine?
• Functional Medicine offers powerful, state of the art ways to assess, treat, and prevent chronic disease, replacing outdated and ineffective acute-care models carried forward from the 20th century.
• Functional Medicine enables health professionals to practice proactive, predictive, personalized medicine and empowers patients to take an active role in their own health.
Every health issue can be traced back to a problem within one or more of the three major body systems in your body.
• Your hormonal system, which produces your sex and stress hormones;
• Your digestive system, which breaks down food for use by the body and;
• Your detoxification system, which protects you from free radicals and chemical toxicity, both from your environment and from your diet.
Our wellness philosophy involves balancing these three systems using a variety of techniques.
Through targeted lab testing that can be done in the privacy of your own home, we are able to assess how each system is functioning and design a personalized program just for you. The program typically includes Nutritional supplements and Diet and lifestyle counseling as well as possible weight loss and hormone balancing programs to rebalance your body.
For more information about Functional Medicine in Crystal Lake and McHenry County, IL call our office at 815.788.8383.